Call Us Today

Call Us Today 408-780-3611

Law Office of Lily L. Huang

More Than A Decade Of Family Law Experience

3 tips for lowering your child support payments

Child support payments are important to make. If you fail to pay child support, you may face legal penalties. You should always try to make child support payments to the best of your ability. But what if the court order becomes unfeasible? Sometimes child support orders do not make sense when there are life changes.

In certain circumstances, you may be able to lower your child support obligations. Here are some steps you should follow if you want to pay less child support.

1. Document the change in circumstances

According to the California courts, here are some of the reasons you may be able to request a child support modification:

  • Your income is significantly lower.
  • You lose your job.
  • You have a new child in a new relationship.
  • The costs for child care, education or health care become less.
  • Your ex-spouse moves in with a new partner who provides financial support.
  • Your ex-spouse gets a job or better-paying job.

If any of these things occur, gather all the evidence you can, such as paychecks or bills.

2. Reach out to your ex-spouse

Before going straight to court, try to reach an agreement with your former spouse. If you can agree on a new child support amount, you can write up a new agreement and provide it to the family court judge. An attorney may be able to help you two negotiate an amount without litigating your arrangement.

3. Ask the court for a modification

If you are unable to see eye to eye with your ex, you can file a request to modify your child support payments with the court. A lawyer can assist you with filing this motion. You will need to provide sufficient evidence of a substantial change in circumstances. 

When payments become overwhelming, there is no need to despair. With the help of a family law attorney, it is possible to reduce your child support obligations under the right circumstances.



Kids And Divorce